Rat Control & Eradication
Brown Rat – Rattus norvegicus
The common rat has been recorded in Brtain since the early 18th century. The most common species of rat found in the UK is the brown rat and will live everywhere, in buildings, sewer systems and outdoors. There is also the black rat which is much less common and is usually found in very few port side areas. Rats are nocturnal animals and live for 9-18 months in the wild. The females can have over 50 offspring in a year.
Why Control Rats ?
If left unchecked, the resident rat population can quickly get out of hand with a number of consequences :
- Damage to the fabric of buildings, chewed wires, cables etc
- Contamination of foodstuffs
- The spread of disease through direct and indirect contact including : Salmonella; Weils Disease; Lyme Disease.
Method of Control
Our usual method for the successful control and eradication of rats is through a combination of rodenticidal baits and proofing.
- Identify the ‘hotspots’ or areas where the rats are most active
- Lay tamper-resistant rodenticidal baits in secure locations. We always use tamper-resistant bait stations where there is a risk of access to bait by children or animals.
- The bait preparations include a toxic ingredient which kills the rats efficiently and humanely.
- We carry out follow-up visits and will continue baiting until the signs of rat activity disappear
- We will then make recommendations, including proofing, to prevent any further infestation in the future.
To find out more about how we can help you on a one-off job basis or with a longer term preventative Service Plan please call us on freephone 0800 0283 703. Alternatively complete our online contact form for a free survey and detailed quotation on how we can eradicate your pest problem.