Strathearn Pest Control can tackle moth infestations.
Moths – Lepidoptera
Moths are of the textile pest or stored product variety
Common Clothes Moth - Tineola bisselliella
Textile pests digest the protein (keratin) from natural fibres, the main constituent of wool and other animal hairs and feathers. One of the most common of this type of pest is the Common Clothes Moth. The adult has a body length of between 6 – 8 mm and is buff brown in colour. They are rarely seen in flight tending to run and they shun the light.
It is the larvae that cause damage, feeding on natural fibres clothes etc found around any property – airing cupboards, wardrobes, upholstery etc. Adults can be found indoors all year round. The Case Bearing Clothes Moth Tinea pellionella is very similar in behaviour.
Why control Moths ?
- Textile moths prefer to feed on any woollen goods but may damage many other kinds of fabrics.
- Proofed carpets are not always resistant to insect attack
- Moths reduce the effective life of fabrics
- Cause stress to worried householders
Methods of Control
- Great care is taken when treating for textile pests. Eggs and larvae may be hidden away in inaccessible cracks and crevices and failure to treat them will result in a re-infestation.
- Identify the source of the infestation and remove
- Apply an approved residual and non-staining insecticide
- Continue to monitor for any emerging larvae and unhatched eggs
To fnd out more about how we can help you on either on a one-ff job basis or with a longer term preventative Service Plan please call us on freephone 0800 0283 703. Alternatively complete our online contact form for a free survey and detailed quotation on how we can eradicate the pest.