Strathearn Pest Control remove and control Bees.
There are many types of Bees, the most commonly seen include the Honey Bee, Bumble Bee, Mason Bees and Solitary Bee. Colonies range in size and can support up to 50,000 bees.
Honey Bee – Apis mellifera
There are a large number of different strains of honey bee. They are similar in size to a wasp though they are dark brown in colour and are furrier. Workers are 12 – 15 mm long, queens 16 – 20 mm and males (drones) 14 – 18 mm. In the wild, their nests can be found in tree hollows, wall and roof cavities. The nest is made up of wax combs and can support up to 40,000 individuals. This is the species kept by Bee Keepers for their honey and beeswax.
They have excellent orientation skills and can communicate by specific dances which inform other workers of the quality and quantity of nearby food. New nests are started when the old queen leaves the existing nest with a few thousand workers (swarming) to find a new site.
Why Control Bees ?
- Bees may exploit houses in which to build their nests
- They can prove a nuisance and sting humans
- In some people, the sting can trigger an anaphylatic shock which can be fatal
Methods of Control
Wherever possible, bees, whatever species, should not be killed as they play a vital role in pollinating plant life. If, however, people are at a high risk of being stung, we can arrange for the necessary control :
- Organise their removal by a professional Bee Keeper
- If this is not practical, and as a last resort, we will eradicate a Bees Nest with an approved insecticide
- In the case of Honey Bees, the nest would also either be removed or totally blocked off to prevent other foraging honey bees from robbing the honey and contaminating other nearby hives
To fnd out more about how we can help you on a one-off job basis or with a longer term preventative Service Plan please call us on freephone 0800 0283 703. Alternatively complete our online contact form for a free survey and detailed quotation on how we can eradicate your pest problem.